Slider Example1920x1080.jpg

Planning for old age and care fees - fictional case study

By admin on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 in Category One

Mr D is 72. His wife died suddenly six months ago and it's made him think about his own mortality. He wonders about the opposite of what happened to his wife – what if he needs long term care, like some of his older friends have?

What would we advise?

Unfortunately, it is too late for Mr D to make a protective property trust will. We would have advised Mr & Mrs D to consider making property protective trust wills before Mrs D died. In these circumstances, Mrs D’s share of their home would have passed into a protective property trust for the benefit of their children.
If Mr D then went into care this half share of the property would be fully protected for the children. Mr D does have the option of giving away his asset(s), but this does have consequences, under the deprivation of assets rules. A council can, for example, still take a gifted asset into account in assessing a person’s eligibility for care funding.

Call or visit today

For an initial consultation or any questions call

0113 254 9733

or you can also email us direct and arrange to pop into our office.


0113 254 9733

Pudsey Legal
Cringlebar House,
415 Bradford Road, Pudsey,
Leeds, LS28 7HQ


Latest News


May 08, 2019

Latest Tweets


Family Law